Monday, Dec. 3, 2012


Earlier today, I went for a walk with my two dogs, Sadie and Foster.  A short ways from our house, Sadie made a deposit on the sidewalk.  Armed with a plastic bag, I cleaned up her mess and scanned the area for a nearby trash receptacle.  Just up ahead and a little ways off the path, I spotted one and headed towards it.  After dumping my bag, I noticed a sign that announced I was entering a promenade.
Hmmm…a promenade?  That’s cool!  Don’t recall seeing this before….
Not one to pass up an adventure, I headed Sadie and Foster down the promenade.  In less than a minute, I’d left the street behind and entered an enchanted environment, reminiscent of the canals of Venice, Italy. 

Meandering waterways created an off-the-beaten-path mode of transportation.  The waterway was flanked by lovely homes.  Flocks of ducks ambled along the water, emitting an occasional quack and leaving a rippled V design in their wake.

Here, there was no sound of cars.  No reminder that streets surrounded us.  Instead, as I strolled this waterway oasis with Sadie and Foster, my mind raced with the possibilities it presented.  A new place to “street” run without having to run on the streets….  A quaint hidden course to my grocery store shopping center….  A pleasant path to ride my beachcomber when heading to nearby kitschy dining establishments….

As far as I could see, waterways peeled off the main one, twisting and turning in all directions.  They offered an endless array of paths to explore.  My mind raced.  Looking at my watch and the quickly setting sun, I determined that exploring further would have to wait until another day.  One where I had more time, was dressed more warmly and before the sun would set and limit my visibility.  But make no mistake…I’ll come back and explore all the waterways have to offer.      

4 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like a brand new opportunity for you to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Anonymous,

    It really is! Can't wait to grab some extended time to explore them more.... : -)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tracy,

    I've been checking out the lay of the waterway paths on Internet maps and am excited about what a vast area they cover.

    ReplyDelete