I left off yesterday’s blog with my friends and I gathered at a friend’s house, enjoying the incredible talents of one of those friends who just so happens to be one of the country’s top rehabilitative, physical, massage therapists.  Waiting patiently, I enjoyed watching each of my friends have their pains eased away by our therapist friend.  When it came my turn, I was surprised at just how good our girlfriend is.

I was no exception to my girlfriend’s talents.  Within seconds of laying her hands on me, she noted that I carry my stress in my neck and shoulders.  Course, that wasn’t news to me.  But then my girlfriend illuminated why I carry stress there.  She told me that I do so because I clench my jaw in my sleep, which creates knots in my facial muscles right where the top of my jaw meets with the muscles. 

Fascinating!

Having discovered the root of my discomfort, my girlfriend set about “fixing” the problem, least temporarily, by massaging the knot away from my jaw/muscle joint.  Man…was that painful!  But I must admit that as soon as the massage was over, I felt quite a release from the stress pain I’d arrived with earlier.

My massage over, I thanked my girlfriend and asked if she finally felt like she’d accomplished something tonight.  As she so often does, she got a wicked little grin and said, “Not quite yet.  My boyfriend doesn’t know it yet, but I’m gonna work on his aches and pains for about an hour and a half when we get home.”

Oh, geez!  Hope he’s up for that….

Like I said, this girlfriend’s got talent, stamina and strength the likes of which I’ve never seen before.  

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tracy,

    The odd thing is, a few months back, and unbeknownst to my therapist girlfriend, I'd been told by my dentist that I clenched my jaw in me sleep. I didn't think anything of it, cause I thought it was just a gimmic for them to sell me some bite guard to sleep with. But having now been told the exact same thing by my therapist friend and feeling the results of her massaging out the knots caused by my jaw clenching...I'm a believer.

    ReplyDelete