Tuesday, February 12, 2013


When I was a little girl, my older sister and I had a favorite pastime. Course, we couldn’t do it year round. Circumstances just didn’t allow for that. So what did we enjoy doing? Catching and playing with the most adorable little frogs. None were any bigger than the size of an adult male’s thumbnail.

My stepfather took great pride in maintaining near perfect St. Augustine lawn. No, he wasn’t super Nazi, not allowing us to play on it or stuff like that. In fact, he encouraged us, along with the scores of neighborhood kids, to play, roll, somersault and cartwheel our way across our lovely lawns.

To ensure a nice thick hatch, he watered regularly, deep watering when needed, and fertilized the lawns twice a year. Now he didn’t use any of the fancy chemical-based fertilizers we have nowadays. No. What my stepfather used was good old-fashioned fertilizer. To this day, whenever I catch a whiff of natural fertilizer, I have fond memories of my step dad’s lawn and the frogs it allowed my older sister and I to catch and play with.

So how could a super healthy St. Augustine lawn, complete with a thick hatch provide the ideal living conditions for the tiny frogs we loved to gather? Simple. Since the hatch was so thick, and my stepfather maintained a perfectly edged lawn, an inch laying between the edge of the lawn and concrete back patio, the frogs would burrow their way under the patio by way of hopping down into the edged lawn trough my step dad created.

So how did my sis and I go about catching said little frogs? We’d get a small wastebasket from in the house. Then, armed with that and nothing else, our fun would begin. Our escapades always had to begin shortly before the sun would set, for that’s when the little frogs tended to emerge from deep under the patio. Tapping along the edge of the patio, close to the edged lawn crevice, my sister and I would encourage the little fellas to hop out of their hiding places. When they did, we were quick to shoo them into the awaiting wastebasket.

Success!

Tune in tomorrow to find out what my sister and I would do with the frogs once they were caught.

No comments:

Post a Comment