Saturday, January 12, 2013


Yesterday was my oldest son’s birthday. When I asked him what activity he wanted to do to celebrate, he said he’d like to go for a hike, though nothing with any significant elevation climb. I thought about that and suggested we begin at the beach where there’s a trailhead that lead thirty miles up into the mountains. Course, I emphasized how I didn’t expect us to go anywhere near that far on our hike. 

My son liked my suggestion, so we headed out. Upon arriving at the beach, I was surprised to see how far out the tide was. Though I’ve become an avid tide chart enthusiast, watching for low tides so I can gather sea glass and seashells, I’d never seen the tide this low.

So just how far out was the water? Far enough to expose an entire tide pool area that spanned a mile in length and was usually completely concealed way under the water. 

Both my son and I are avid tide pool explorers and love to take whatever opportunities to explore them. So, when faced with this newly revealed tide pool area, we jumped at the chance to see what treasures might be hidden.

Tune in tomorrow to see what we discovered.  


No comments:

Post a Comment