Sunday, January 13, 2013


I began yesterday’s blog, telling how I celebrated my oldest son’s birthday. Of how we discovered a usually hidden-under-tons-of-water, mile-long, tide pool area at a nearby beach. We made our discovery quite by chance when we opted to begin a hike from that beach. But rewarded with such an unearthing that just so happened to unveil itself due to the lowest tide of the year on my son’s actual birthday, well…

My son and I never made it beyond the tide pool area to continue on with our hike. Instead, we spent the next several hours, combing all its nooks and crannies. In them, we spotted an octopus, an endless supply of starfish, including pink, black, tan, chocolate brown and pumpkin orange ones and a colorful spectrum of sea anemones.

Included with this blog is a picture of one of those. I spotted its neon green underbelly as the sea anemone, clinging to the side of a normally submerged wall, hung up side down. There were a mere six inches between it and the sand, so I’m surprised I noticed it at all. 

But I did, its neon greenness calling to me. I wondered if it was a brightly colored piece of algae, similar to what grew plentifully in the rest of the tide pool. Without knowing for sure, I decided to take a chance to capture its image. It was a bit dicey trying to snap a picture of the anemone without getting my phone in the water.  I still hadn’t the slightest idea what the inside of the anemone actually looked like but carried on with my quest. Perseverance paid off. What you see is, I was rewarded with after I snapped a photo of the anemone in all its stunning beauty.

Sometimes, it pays to take a closer look at those things that capture our attention.  

No comments:

Post a Comment