Saturday, February 5, 2011

Living in southern California, one can’t help but find themselves on the freeways. I, myself, drive them frequently. Every once in a while, I stumble across something on one that completely baffles me.

While driving to a meeting earlier today, I was keeping pace with the flow of traffic when all of a sudden it slowed, not quite stopped, but inched along. I adjusted and crept along with everyone else, hoping that things wouldn’t go from bad to worse, causing me to be late for my meeting.

About five miles along, I drew up behind a dark green pickup truck, equipped with a flashing police light bar atop.

Hmmm…. Odd color for a highway patrol vehicle.

The closer I got, I realized that said truck was stopped. Almost upon it, I read the tan lettering on the back that said Department of Fish and Game Wildlife.

What? Here? Stopped on the freeway? Why?

Inching past it, I saw two compact vehicles directly in front of it. Both cars were empty.

Hmmm….

I looked over to the side of the road, expecting to spot the drivers. Nothing. Looking back at both cars, I noticed that neither had any indications that they had been in a collision.

Odd.

For all intents and purposes, it appeared as though the two cars had been driving along and when the drivers decided to use the freeway as a parking lot, abandoning their vehicles single-file in the process. And then there was the green Department of Fish and Game Wildlife truck in which the driver sat, busily making notes—of what, I couldn’t say.

Passing all three cars, traffic resumed normal speeds. Taking one last look at the cars in my rear-view mirror, I kept wondering why they were there. What had transpired? Where were the drivers to the abandoned vehicles? No doubt, the answers to those questions will remain a mystery.

Like I said, living in southern California we find ourselves on the freeways frequently, and some of the stuff we stumble across is just downright weird like what I saw earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment