Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My youngest daughter made a post today that asked how we forgive. That got me thinking about how some are able to forgive, while others seem perpetually stuck in harboring ill will over past occurrences.

Where do I fall? Somewhere in the middle. When I was younger, I fell into the latter category, storing up animosity towards past events like a squirrel preparing for a long winter. But thankfully, with age came wisdom that enlightened me to a better way of living.

Growing up, I was made to endure a lot of hardships that fostered a hard shell of resentment that I wore like a protective cloak. Or at least I thought it could protect me. In reality, I discovered that instead of shielding me, it weighed me down and kept me from living and enlightened life.

I’d always questioned the philosophy that one should forgive and forget. And I still do, to a point. I agree that people should forgive. But forget? No way! And here’s why. I don't think we're meant to completely forget. For if we do, then we have no measure by which to avoid stumbling into past pitfalls.

As I’ve grown, evolved and hopefully bettered myself, I’ve come to realize that to truly move on, we must view our past, embrace what good we can glean from it, mourn the less-than-favorable moments and then completely release any guilt or misgivings we may have about it.

In my opinion, that is how we forgive.

No comments:

Post a Comment