Tuesday, June 1, 2010

There are some who like to flex their creative muscles. Me, I need to. I’ve always been that way. Along with having an excess of physical energy, I have an over abundance of creativity that if not exercised on a regular basis, tends to spill out in all sorts of other ways.

I adore creating things, have for as long as I can recall. When I was ten, I began working with leather and fell in love with the process. By the time I was in middle school, I began taking sewing classes. But I found the patterns to be constrictive, so I began modifying them. Then, by the time I was in high school, I didn’t use patterns at all, opting to make my own creations from the images presented in my mind. At first, this drove my instructors crazy until they realized that I could exactly create what I told them I would.

High school was when I began combining my love of leather with sewing. There are some who are wine connoisseurs. I happen to be a leather connoisseur. There isn’t a single thing about leather that doesn’t appeal to me. The feel, aroma, warmth, these speak to me. And things made of leather…. Shoes, clothing, bags, briefcases, etc., I love it all!

Today was one of those times when my creative muscle needed to be exercised. So, I grabbed a pair of kidskin leather pants a girlfriend and I picked up from a thrift store in the valley for only $1.50, and I spent an hour creating a knapsack that I’ll bring with me to Florida. Now I ask you. What could be better than combining my passions to create something useful that will make me smile each and every time I use it. And…the fact that it only cost $1.50, excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment