Tuesday, May 3, 2011


There are times when the organizational skills of others make absolutely no sense to me.
After my writing critique class this evening, I stopped at our local grocery store to pick up a new battery for my garage door opener, the one that was in it, having died earlier in the day.  Arriving at the store with my old battery, I headed for the battery section. 
Once there, I noticed that about a third of the batteries were no longer on display, the one I needed amongst them.  My battery was an innocent enough looking fella, kind of like a AAA battery that had been chopped in half, making it a shorter version of the traditional AAA. 
I searched the section again, thinking I might have missed it.  But no, mine was amongst those no longer on display.  A store official came over to ask if I needed help finding my item.  I showed him my battery, and he told me they were hanging on the display along the side.  But when he went to grab one for me, his hand landed on a section of empty space—no batteries there to be found. 
It was then that he pointed to the whole section of hearing aid batteries and told me that he recalled that those had just been moved up from the pharmacy section while the one I needed had been relocated behind the locked barrier in the pharmacy.  Looking at my innocent battery, I inquired why, not seeing the danger it presented, or why it now needed to be under lock and key.
The store official shook his head and told me he had no idea why the garage door opener batteries now had to be locked away, only that he recalled that they had been.  So, leaving the store without my battery, seeing as the pharmacist had just left, locking the pharmacy behind him, I’m still without a working garage door opener and am at a loss to understand the threat my cute little battery might pose.
Just out of morbid curiosity, tomorrow I’ll head to another store to see if they, too, have my “dangerous” battery under lockdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment