Monday, October 17, 2011


There are times in life when I’m beyond grateful to be where I am at an exact moment in time.  Today was one of those.

I was in my backyard with my dog, Sadie.  We were playing fetch with a Frisbee.  I threw it, and Sadie, having already chased it down and brought it back to me countless times earlier, headed out in hot pursuit.  But this time, as she ran past the shallow end of our pool that juts out, her rear right leg slipped off the pavement, causing her to slide into the pool. 

I didn’t think too much of it, assuming she’d simply pull herself out or swim to the steps.  But then it dawned on me, she’d never been in our pool before, so didn’t know where or how to get out.

Sadie’s instincts kicked in and she spun round, grabbing hold of the edge with both front paws, her nails digging into the brick coping.  Meanwhile, our other dog, Cleo, and I rushed towards her, our other dog arriving prior to me.  Sadie struggled to gain a good hold with her rear legs to help boost herself out of the water.  But she failed.  Cleo grabbed for Sadie’s collar to help pull her out, but wasn’t strong enough, being lighter in weight. 

Watching all this unfold, I noticed the absolute panic that set into Sadie’s eyes once she realized she couldn’t hoist herself out of the water.  Panicking, she struggled more, only exhausting herself.  As I approached, I watched her grip on the edge slip and she slid down further in the water. 

I arrived at the edge of the pool and tried to coax her over to the step that was a mere five feet away.  I knew that if I could teach her to get out on her own, Sadie would be safe around the pool. 

Unfortunately, she was beyond reasoning and ignored my pleas to have her let go of the side, to her the only hope she had of getting out, and swim over to me.  Reaching in, I grabbed hold of her collar and guided her to the step, expecting her to immediately jump out of the water, her feet now supported.

But Sadie was too exhausted and frightened to do anything other than stand on the ledge, leaning her body towards me as I petted her muzzle, head and back.  The whole while, I told her what a good girl she was.  I could have pulled her from the water myself, but I needed her to understand that she could get out unassisted.

I allowed Sadie the time she needed to calm down.  Once I noticed her breathing resume normal, I stepped away from her and called her name.  She looked at me, despair in her eyes, but didn’t try to come to me.  My heart ached to extricate her from the water, but my better thinking won out and I again called to her, this time squatting down and patting my hand on the concrete just a few feet from her. 

This time Sadie responded.  With great effort, she hoisted first one front leg and then the other up onto the pool deck.  Then, with a little more encouragement from me, she jumped the rest of the way out, rushing to me and showering me with a spray of water as she shook. 
Not missing a beat, she looked around until she noticed where the until-then-forgotten Frisbee laid on the grass a short distance away.  Rushing to it, tail wagging with great enthusiasm, Sadie scooped it up in her mouth and brought it to me, proud of completing her task. 

Meanwhile, my heart swelled with joy that she was still there.  That she hadn’t drowned.  That she was able to resume her favorite game in the whole wide world—playing fetch with me…. 

No comments:

Post a Comment