Wednesday, October 12, 2011


Everyone is familiar with how a full moon can make things go a little…batty.  Yesterday was a full moon, and things certainly went batty as a result. 

Mid afternoon, I headed up to run my favorite mountain trail with my dog, Sadie.  It was a hot day, 87 degrees with a good amount of humidity.  The mid afternoon sun glared off the dirt trail, making it hard to distinguish items lying on the ground.  Added to that was the sporadic modeled pattern from overhead tree branches and the side of the mountain casting its shadow on the trail that also made discerning what lay ahead a challenge. I was wearing my sunglasses to help overcome these difficulties.

Sadie and I got perhaps two and a half miles up the trail when we encountered a group of three college-aged girls who didn’t have a clue as to trail etiquette.  Spreading themselves from one side of the trail to the next instead of staying to the right, I was forced to squeeze by them on the left, which placed Sadie right up against a little raised edge that’s heavily covered with tall dried grass. 

This time of year, I try to avoid getting so close to that edge, as it’s a great place for rattlesnakes to be concealed.  Today was one of those days.

Just as Sadie got close enough, a large Pacific rattler struck out at her.  She jumped away, startled, then turned on a dime.  My mind hadn’t quite registered yet what had happened.  As it tried to adjust, I watched Sadie lunge at the embankment.  I saw a slight flash—the body of the snake—as it struck out again.  I yanked back on Sadie’s leash.  She relented for a moment before again going after the snake.  This back-and-forth continued for perhaps six strikes of the snake, all narrowly missing Sadie, before I could gain control of and pull her away.  Meanwhile, the college girls walked past, unaware of the disturbance.

Our pulses racing, Sadie and I continued on.  Went only about a quarter of a mile before we came across a baby Western Diamondback rattler lying in the middle of the trail.  These snakes are far more aggressive than the Pacific rattler.  This one was particularly testy.  It didn’t even wait for us to pose a threat before it lunged out, narrowly missing Sadie’s front left foot.  In fact, I thought she’d been struck due to how close it was and how she’d jumped away.  Glaring over my shoulder at the pissy snake, I continued a little ways with Sadie before stopping to check her foot.  Thankfully, she’d been spared.

Less than an eight of a mile along, we encountered yet another baby Diamondback.  This was especially unusual, for it’s months past the time they should be hatching out.  This snake we didn’t see, the bright sun, casting a blinding glare on the dirt trail, until it was literally between Sadie and me.  Looking down, I caught sight of it just as it struck towards me.
Holy crud!

I jumped out of its way and managed to avoid getting bit—barely.  Doubling my pace, my adrenaline now flowing at full speed, I vowed to get the heck off the mountain as soon as possible.  But Mother Nature wasn’t done having her fun with Sadie and me.

Another quarter mile along, we encountered our third baby Western Diamondback that also struck out at us.  This time, we had a little more distance between us but were still just as jarred by the unnecessary attack.

Normally, Sadie couldn’t care less about the snakes we encounter while on our runs.  We come across quite a few, and she looks at them in passing.  But that wasn’t the case today.  With each new attack, Sadie became more on edge.  In between encounters, I’d see her nose rise in the air and she’d sniff, as if knowing of the impending danger that lay ahead.
By this time, four different rattlesnakes had struck at Sadie and me in a period of less than fifteen minutes.  Needless to say, both of us were on edge and wanted to get home.  To heck with nature and exploring all she had to offer.  As far as we were concerned, Mother Nature could keep her bad attitude rattle snakes all to herself!

Never before have I encountered more than two to three rattlers in a single day.  And I’ve never been struck at more than once in a run.  In fact, until today’s bizarre full moon madness on the mountain, rattlesnakes have only struck at me less than a handful of times in my entire life!

Sadie and I managed to make it off the mountain without further incident.  Both of us were exhausted by the end, our adrenaline rushes having drained us.  Goes without saying that I’m beyond grateful that neither Sadie nor I ended up feeling snake fangs dig into our flesh on today’s run. 

Think I’ll take a break from running the mountain tomorrow…. 

No comments:

Post a Comment