Sunday, October 24, 2011


"May today there be peace within. May you trust that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith in yourself and others. May you use the gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you. May you be content with yourself just the way you are. Let this knowledge settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of us." 
 

Mother Theresa


I felt inspired to share the above quote.  Comprised of powerful sentiments, it’s meant to make us evaluate the way we view ourselves and assess if we accept who we are.  Sent to me by a friend, I’d heard bits and pieces of it over the years, but never all of it together and wasn’t aware of the author until I looked up that information.

When one first glances at the quote, a few key phrases might jump out, touching a deep chord within the reader.  But when one takes the time to read it a second, third or more times, each subsequent reading reveals more valuable information.  Seemingly simplistic when separate, these thought-provoking tidbits create a mighty vein of complex ideas when strung together. 

When I look around me, the number of individuals who aren’t comfortable with or are unable to exact these concepts into their lives saddens me.  How sad is it that many aren’t at ease with who they are at their core?  That they struggle to come to terms with their identity?  That they spend an inordinate amount of time and emotional energy trying to avoid these very ideas?

Additionally, what about those who would like to implement these thoughts but life and circumstances prohibit them from doing so?  My heart goes out to those individuals.  Why?  Because I can empathize with them. 

I’ve spent various periods of my life striving to adopt and put these principles into motion.  Sometimes I’ve succeeded.  Many more times I fell short my mark.  But I didn’t give up.  Though I might have faltered for a spell, eventually, I picked myself up and set to achieving my goal again and again and again.  Wasn’t important how many times I tried.  Nor did I look at my lack of completion as failures.  Instead, I viewed them as opportunities to learn how not to go about reaching my objectives.

So why did I share this quote and my thoughts on it?  Simple.  I have a challenge for each of you.  I’d like folks to read…really read the quote, allowing its subtle and not so subtle concepts to sink in.  Once this task has been completed, it’s my hope that individuals will allow themselves the latitude to put in the extra effort required to embrace the concepts they find themselves struggling with.

No comments:

Post a Comment