Friday, June 8, 2012


I know I shouldn’t be surprised by it anymore, but I am.  I’ll never get used to folks treating their animals like disposable commodities.  When I was working as a veterinarian technician a lifetime ago, this harsh reality slammed into me time and time again when owners brought their neglected or abused pets into our pet hospital. 

One would think I should’ve been grateful that the owners were taking the time to bring their pets in to—finally—receive the treatment they so desperately needed.  In a way, I was glad, for the animals, that is.  But oft, it was too late, the animals too far gone with sickness or neglect to be brought back to health.  That broke my heart. 

One of the things I saw repeatedly at my particular pet hospital was when folks, who had large parcels of land, would cage their pets in the farthest back corner of their acre or more properties, in enclosures that weren’t large enough for the size of the animal.  As if that wasn’t bad enough, the owners would then forget about the pets being there. 

What the heck? 

How does a person forget that a living being, in their charge, is confined to a cage…that they put them in?  But they did.  Over and over again, we’d have animals brought into us that had been starved near to death, or suffered massive infestations of maggots that completely undermined their skin, separating it from their muscle and other underlying tissue. 

How could this happen, you ask?  That was what I wanted to know, so me being me, I’d ask the self-righteous owners that very question, as I cradled or comforted their suffering pet in my arms.  The owners’ replies never ceased to amaze me.  What I was told, always in an indignant tone, was that they just didn’t know what happened to their pet.  After all, it was just a week or so earlier that they’d gone back to check on their caged animal. 

A week or so earlier?!  What the heck?!  Who does that to another living being and then has the audacity to be indignant when asked about their mistreatment of said pet? 

Of course, back then we didn’t have the animal protection and rights laws that we do now, so we in the veterinary business had to suck up our feelings, bite our tongues and concentrate on what we could do—help heal the animals.  When that proved impossible, we’d do everything in our power to minimize their suffering….

The other thing that boiled my blood was when owners would bring their supposed beloved family pet in and then dump it with us, no longer wanting to be bothered with it, expecting us to find a home for what they now viewed as a bother.

Again, what the heck?

Animals are living beings that count on us to take them in and treat them with dignity and respect, not toss them aside when we grow bored of them. 

Today, I spoke with a girlfriend who, along with her sister, a few other trusted friends and I have worked together for the past twenty-some years to place animals that need homes.  My girlfriend told me of a white boxer puppy that was taken to a local vet to be put to sleep.  Why did the owner want it killed?  Simple—at least to them.  Seems the puppy was deaf.  And…according to the owners, having a disability was a perfectly good reason to destroy a loving caring animal that wanted nothing more than to be cuddled and return love. 

Anyhow, the pet hospital convinced the owner to sign ownership of the puppy over to them, explaining that they would not euthanize but instead find it a new home.  Enter my friends and me.  Once I was made aware of the puppy’s plight, I sent out feelers and asked a few individuals for probable new home solutions for the deaf puppy.  Didn’t take long before one of my friends came up with a great idea. 

Since the puppy is completely deaf, it tends to get startled if asleep and someone or another animal happens upon it.  Also, it can’t hear the audible clues from other dogs that playfulness might have gone too far, so sometimes, the puppy finds itself in fights.  Otherwise, however, it is a mind-mannered dog that adores everyone it meets, wanting nothing more than to be and give love.

So what was my friend’s solution?  It was suggested that we contact a regional institute for the deaf.  Why?  Because they have live-in residents who are deaf themselves, so would therefore completely understand the needs of a deaf puppy.  How to communicate with it.  Make it feel at ease.  Socialize with it.  They’d also be able to minimize the pup feeling threatened by individuals or pets “sneaking” up on it.  In addition, having interaction with a deaf puppy could be a great therapy dog for those learning how to deal with their own deafness.

Thinking this was a great idea, I passed the information along to my girlfriend who will make contact with the regional institute for the deaf at the beginning of the week.  I can hardly wait to see if this special deaf puppy will find a new loving home amongst those whom could most relate to its situation!

No comments:

Post a Comment