Tuesday, June 5, 2012


There are days when even I wonder at some of the intense moments in my life.  Take yesterday for example.  Even for me, it scored super high on the scale.

I’ve been training my youngest dog, Foster, how to run and keep pace with his mom, Sadie, and me.  It’s been a challenge, for he’s a naturally slower runner, hasn’t yet lost his thick winter coat and the temperatures have soared to summer ones complete with humidity.  Add to that how Foster, like me, has a tougher time performing in humidity combined with heat and you get a good picture of what challenges I’m up against.  In addition, Foster isn’t a natural uphill runner, meaning he ends up lagging behind, unable to keep the pace Sadie and I set.  That’s even with us slowing down for him. 

Sadie is Foster’s biological mom, and a good mom at that.  As such, she’s extra mindful when her boy is struggling.  I appreciate her attentiveness and enjoy watching the close bond between Sadie and Foster.  How he seeks not only my approval while trying to run with us, but also that of his mom for comfort.  Throughout our runs together, Sadie and Foster will take opportunities to pull a little ahead of me, just enough to allow them to touch their noses together—a way for Foster to feel comforted and for Sadie to offer support for her boy.

During an uphill portion of our run yesterday, Foster was struggling.  Sadie was paying attention to him, comforting him on and off and not paying attention to what was on the path ahead of us.  That wasn’t a problem, for I understood and took the roll of lookout for all three of us.  At one point during that uphill portion, I spotted a rattlesnake about eight feet in front of us.  My eyes locked on it.  Taking in its size of only two feet, I realized it was an adolescent snake.  Those are more dangerous, for they haven’t yet learned how to not release all their venom in a bite and are more likely to be scared, thus striking out.  This snake was not exception.

After I spotted the snake that was quickly slithering across the path, trying to get to the bushes on the other side, I took another two steps towards it, thinking it would continue to crawl towards the bushes and not bother us.  I was wrong.  I guess the vibration of ten feet pounding the pavement just alongside it was too unnerving.  As I went to take my next step, Sadie and Foster on either side of me, unaware of what lie ahead of us, the snake did an about-face and reared up.  Now facing us, it did three quick warning lunges, mouth open wide, the message perfectly clear: I’m afraid of you and will bite if you get close enough.

By the time the snake had completed it’s second warning strike, I’d reversed the momentum of my body and pulled back hard on both leashes, thus having Sadie, Foster and I all take a step back.  Usually, a runner can jump over a rattlesnake without threat of being bitten since snakes strike where they felt the last footfall vibration.  But with ten legs between us, I wasn’t willing to take the risk that all three of us would run away unbitten.  So I backed us off and stood there watching the snake as it did its third and final warning strike.  Satisfied that he’d gotten his point across, the scared snake resumed slithering as quickly as possible into the sanctuary of the awaiting bushes.  Sadie and Foster, now aware of the snake, did what they do best; they sat peacefully on either side of me, not doing anything to further irritate the snake.  Once the snake had passed, I waited before having us three continue past on our run. 

A couple of weeks back, I wrote of how Sadie and Foster had saved me from stepping on a rattlesnake during a run.  It was nice to repay the favor today and keep us all safe.

One would have thought that was enough excitement for one day.  But then…this is me we’re talking about, so that was only the beginning….  Tune in tomorrow to learn what new threat happened just a few hours later.

No comments:

Post a Comment