Saturday, June 9, 2012

Yesterday I blogged about how it was difficult for me to encounter uncaring and oft abusive pet owners while working as a veterinary technician a lifetime ago.  Though decades have passed since then, I still cringe at the thought or when faced with owners who neglect or abuse their pets.  That’s the dark side.  But then…there are days like today, when I’m treated to being surrounded by loving pet owners. 

Seems everywhere I turned today I spotted happy pets, playing with their owners.  Running with them.  Biking with them.  Being appreciated.  Trotting along at a leisurely pace while on a walk.  The animals weren’t the only happy ones I saw.

The owners were enjoying themselves as well.  And after all, isn’t that what having pets is all about?  Enjoying one another?  Getting out and doing things together?  Delighting in the companionship offered by one another?

Wish I could’ve gotten that thought through to folks I’ve encountered over the years who seem to miss the whole point of having pets.  The ones who, enchanted by that darling little puppy, kitten, etc, take ownership.  But then…the pet grows….  And with that, some owners grow bored of them. 

How sad…..

Then there are the owners, like the ones I saw today, whose lives are enriched and better for having pets to love.  Nurture.  Gain companionship from.  Seeing the pets together with their owners today made my heart soar.  I found myself smiling at how strangers, tied together by nothing more than their love of animals, would pause to greet and interact with one another, allowing their pets the joy of doing the same.  Thus the wealth of gained benefits was shared.  That put a big smile on my face….

No comments:

Post a Comment