Thursday, June 28, 2012

 When does asking for help cross the line of what’s appropriate?  None of us manages to navigate our lives without a little help from time to time.  Nothing wrong with that.  But the finesse of when and from whom and how much help to ask for…that’s a delicate dance.

Here’s an example.  If a person is a mere acquaintance, is it appropriate for them to ask another to spend five hours or more in traffic, driving to and from the airport to pick said person up?  Especially if there is a readily available bus and shuttle system at their disposal?  In this scenario, does the person have the right to ask?

In my humble opinion, this is crossing a line of what assistance and from whom it’s appropriate to ask.  But there are those, especially those who feel inclined to impose on others, who will go ahead and ask anyhow.  I suppose that’s their right….

But what about when they take it a step further.  Already having crossed the line, IMHO, of what’s appropriate and not, when they’re politely told that it’s too much of an imposition, the person who’s asking then has the audacity to protest.

What?!

What gives them the right to argue when they’ve asked an over-the-top favor and been turned down?  Why do some people feel entitled to get what they ask for, no matter from whom or how excessive, just because they’ve asked?

I’m all for helping others.  Go out of my way to do so when I can.  But…there’s a point when I have to say I can’t help or indicate something that’s been asked for is too much—for any number of reasons.  I believe that I have the right to stand that ground.  After all, I am being asked a favor, instead of something I’m obligated to do.

So I’m curious.  How do others feel on this topic?    

4 comments:

  1. I recently had a friend ask for help moving, yet I hardly know this person well enough to justify taking a day off to help them move! But I sound like a "bad person" if I say no, so I'm stuck! I hate being put in that position.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's helping and there's overdoing it! People should be more considerate. That's just downright rude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Anonymous,

    That's just it! The type of folks who put others in this position, I believe, do it for that very reason—to make the person feel or look bad if they decline to help. IMHO, that's just...wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Eli O,

    Exactly! And yet, if your were to ask those rude individuals, somehow they don't think their actions are rude. Instead, its the one who declines to help that's somehow at fault. What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete