Sunday, Aug. 19, 2012


Since as long as I can recall, I adore giving others a second chance.  Whether they are people or animals, I believe that unless otherwise proved to me, most possess the ability to do better.  To rise above.  To prove what they’re made of…if…only someone will give them the chance. 

Over the past year, I’ve been frequenting Goodwill Thrift Stores for needed items.  Along that path, I made an interesting discovery.  The employees who work at the Goodwill are amongst some of the most sincere, helpful, cheerful individuals I’ve had the pleasure of interacting with.  Since I’ve been in several of the stores with such frequency, some of the employees and I have gotten to know one another. 

Yesterday, one of those, a young man who can never quite do enough, be polite enough or wear a big enough happy smile, revealed how grateful he was to have been given a second chance in life.  How he’d spent some of his youth in a group home.  How had it not been for a few individuals who were willing to see past his then harsh exterior and show him another path, he never would have made it.  How he was beyond grateful for the chance to work at Goodwill.  How the company treats him with respect rather than judging him for his past.  That made me nod my approval.

This young man isn’t the first who’s shared a similar past with me.  And to those who have felt safe enough to open up to me, I’m beyond grateful.  In addition, I stand in awe of their insatiable spirit to rise above.  How inspiring it is to see others who just want to be given a chance to prove themselves…to others and to themselves.

Whenever I come across individuals such as the young man at Goodwill, I offer them my respect.  How do I do that?  Easy.  I give them my time.  I pause whatever I’m doing and listen to them, really hear what they have to share.  The way I see it, what better way can I show how proud I am of another’s efforts than by taking the time to acknowledge them?

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful and inspiring story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Eli O,

    My thought exactly, and why I posted it. Love to advertise when things go right, people treat others with respect and folks are given a second chance.

    ReplyDelete