Sunday, Aug. 26, 2012


I’ve always been big on maintaining items I have rather than subscribing to programmed obsolescence.  Along that note, the other day, I noticed something had spilled on one of my satin covered lampshades.  Not wanting to toss it since it goes with a matching set of other lampshades, I wondered if I might be able to wash it.  After all, it was made of fabric that was all stitched together.

Taking a chance, I filled the sink with cold water and added some gentle laundry detergent.  Then I submerged the lampshade, rotating it to get all of it washed.  And you know what?  The stain came right off.  Not only that, but also all dust did as well!  Then I hung the lampshade outside where it could spin in the gentle breeze and be evenly dried by the direct sunlight to avoid further moisture stains. By the time I was done, I was so thrilled with the resulting might-as-well-have-been-new lampshade that I decided to wash my other matching lampshades. 

Love how on a whim, I tried to solve a problem and figured a way to revitalize perfectly good lampshades!   

2 comments:

  1. Lampshade washing? Who's heard of THAT before?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tracy,

    Yeah, LOL, it's not anything to write home about, but...it did save me from having to replace the stained shade....

    ReplyDelete