Sunday, Aug. 5, 2012


While watching TV with a friend yesterday, I made a disturbing discovery.  A good many of the offered programs or movies highlighted people being tortured, getting hurt due to their own carelessness or folks consumed by violence.  That got me to thinking.  Why is it that society’s so fascinated with these things?  So much so as to consider it entertainment to watch them play out?

Whatever happened to people displaying empathy for their fellow man?  Cringing when someone, even if it’s a total stranger, gets hurt?  At what point did it become an acceptable sport for individuals to gleefully embrace the concept of others’ suffering?  And then there’s the whole disturbing thought of those who like—really and truly enjoy—viewing others who are consumed by violence.  The lengths they’ll go.  Chaos they cause.  The living beings that they’ll delight in hurting.

Now I admit, I’m not the most TV savvy person.  In fact, I watch so little as to constitute not watching it at all.  So perhaps I missed some gradual uphill swing that caused viewers to gravitate towards what I consider disturbing images.  Things I’d rather not see.  But…based the number of programs that offer such visual images, I must be of the minority mindset. 

If that’s the case, then so be it.  I’m fine being openly empathetic….  Cringing when someone, even a stranger, gets hurt….  Refusing to gleefully embrace the concept of others’ suffering.  And when it comes to violent people, most often, I make it a point to steer clear of rather than applaud those individuals and their actions. 

It used to be that implied violence in programs and movies was enough.  Viewers didn’t need to actually see someone beaten to death by a baseball bat.  Or have their fingers chopped off, one-by-one, with a rusty saw.  Or have images carved into their flesh as visuals reminders, to the rest of the world, of who that person was—on the inside. 

Over the past couple of decades, however, people have become desensitized to these things.  Worse, they’ve become blaze about them.  Then, even more disturbing, they began to take pleasure in watching them play out.  And that’s where I draw the distinction between the masses being “entertained” and myself.

Some might say I’m old-fashioned due to the way I feel.  Probably am.  But if becoming a “modern-day thinker” entails embracing violence, then count me out!      

5 comments:

  1. Movies are sooo violent these days, I cringe. I saw Batman recently and was appalled with the level of violence I saw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every once in a while a movie comes along that is just timeless and classic, regardless of topic, that doesn't rely on violence or sex or swearing to make itself artful. Those are often wonderful films but more times than not just don't make as much money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, found a typo, thus my redoing the post.... Here's the corrected version.


      Hey Tracy,

      Exactly.... It's not that media is displaying violence so much as the incredible level with which we as viewers are saturated.

      Delete
  4. Hey Eli O,

    Makes me sad that those don't rake in the big bucks like the ones focused on violence.

    ReplyDelete