Tuesday, Aug. 7, 2012


There are times when we approach things with baby steps—itty, bitty, teeny, tiny steps we carefully plan out in our heads before ever endeavoring to move forward.  Other times, we rush right in, blissful in the innocence of not having the slightest clue how or if things will work out.  The way I approach life is a symphonic melded compilation of the two.

Not sure if I was born with this as my natural manner.  Do know that early on—far before I can recall any other mode of operation, life taught me that if I had any hopes of navigating the rough waters I was faced with, then I’d better learn how to adapt to flying by the seat of my pants while proceeding with meticulously planned out precision.

Over the past number of years, however, I’ve made a concerted effort to lesson my self-inflicted restraints.  At first, doing so was terrifying.  To not know exactly what my plan of action would be.  But as time’s worn on and I haven’t managed to self-destruct as I wondered if I might, I’ve learned to take solace in the gained freedom I now have.  How, not having to plan five steps ahead in life just so I can hope to remain one to two ahead of the game isn’t such a bad way to live.  In fact, I’m finding it rather enjoyable.

Course, there are times when life challenges our newfound personal growth.  Such has been my lot for the past year.  But you know what?  I’m managing.  In fact, I think I’ve done better than that, having learned to not only navigate life’s troubled waters with a steadier rudder, but I’ve learned the finer skill of patience, which makes all things more manageable.

So, whether your inclination is to tiptoe into your future or rush at it with wild abandon, tackling all that comes in the interim, know that whatever approach you use, so long as you’re not completely foolish, will probably turn out okay.  Not that you won’t experience some “skinned knees” along the way to your roads straightening out.  But those roads will align themselves, if only we have the perseverance and patience to see them through.      

2 comments:

  1. I tend to accidentally fall into my future and when the dust has settled see where I've ended up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tracy,

    LOL, I like that! (big smile)

    ReplyDelete