Wednesday, Aug. 22, 2012


The facilitator to my writing critique group once explained how she never manages to se bad drivers and how her husband always seems to spot them.  As a group, we discussed the possible reasons for this.  Then my facilitator summed it up rather nicely by stating that when one looks for negative things, they’re likely to find them.  She, however, doesn’t actively look for bad drivers or other negative things, so tends to be blinded to their existence. 

On one hand, this seems a blissful way to live.  Course, one could also end up in a car collision or worse with this mentality. 

LOL.

But seriously, I like the mentality of my facilitator.  How she focuses her energy on the positive rather than looking for negative and trouble when doing so is oft unnecessary and unproductive.

Over the past several weeks, I’ve thought a lot about that night when my critique group, facilitator and I all shared our thoughts on this subject.  As I’ve pondered and smiled over how positive my facilitator is, I’ve made myself more aware of what others look for.  Are they actively seeking the negatives?  Or are they devoting their time and energy to more positive avenues?  And of those I’ve observed, which ones seem to be happier?   My findings weren’t surprising—least not to me.  The individuals who seek the positive rather than dwelling on or actively seeking life’s negatives were far more relaxed, seemed more at peace and smiled far more than the others.  And for me, that’s conviction enough that my facilitator has the right mentality.

No comments:

Post a Comment