Saturday, July 31, 2010

It was great to have folks come out for my book signing and reading today. I read my piece that’s featured in Chicken Soup for the Soul: Runners and also several chapters from Dark Awakenings. It was a treat to be able to see and hear the reactions of those in the audience. As a writer, that’s one of the biggest paybacks—having your readers just where you want them.

After the readings, I opened the floor for individuals to ask anything they wanted, telling them that I’d be open to almost all questions. We got on the topic of writing, specifically how I go about writing my novels. One man wanted to know how long it took to generate the first, second, etc. of my novels. I shared how each and every one of my books has presented itself to me in differing ways and how I tend to write quicker than many others.

I cherish the moments when I can share with new writers my enthusiasm for my craft. The man, who had asked how long it took for me to write my books, said he was interested in perusing a career in writing since he thought there was tons of money in it. I carefully structured my reply to let him know that if he was getting into writing solely for that purpose, then he should seek another career. But that if he was interested in writing because he couldn’t stand the concept of not writing, then that was an excellent reason to carry forth with his idea to write.

Many people think writing’s easy. It’s not. Just like any other career, it has many pitfalls and is a demanding mistress that insists you give her your heart and soul. No longer can writers just crank out a book and then sit back, thinking their work is done. Oh, no! In today’s competitive writing world, the front of which has undergone a drastic facelift due to the fall of the economy, a writer must also have business savvy and a willingness and availability to help market their own work, no matter who their publisher is, small or large. My having the book signing and reading today was just a small part of that complex and oh, so involved process.

No comments:

Post a Comment