Monday, November 22, 2010

By now, you’re aware of the random thoughts tumbling around in my head on any given day. And that I often share them with you here. So, I figured today’s blog should reflect those random thoughts. Why? Well…why not.

I’ve been thinking about odd things, which are contagious. I’m not referring to diseases or viruses. The contagions that have captured my attention, at least for today, are far more innocuous.

Ever notice how when you see someone yawn, it’s near impossible to avoid the sudden overwhelming urge to yawn yourself. Not that you’re tired or had any intention of yawning just moments before. But seeing another yawn, you just had to as well. Of course, reading about yawning can trigger the same reaction.

Then there’s the whole burping thing. Having had four children, I’m keenly aware that when you place a baby against your shoulder to be burped, often times, you end up burping as you pat their back. This one I get, for it makes sense that the patting motion does translate directly to you by the baby pressing against your chest.

But the one that doesn’t make sense is when I see someone else burping a baby, and then I feel the urge to burp. It’s as if concentrating on the baby being burped evokes some need in me that didn’t exist moments before but now has to be honored with a burp.

And the contagion that totally perplexes me is when I see someone caught up with hiccups, and then I become inflicted with them. Really? Hiccups? Contagious? Who would have thought? But that very thing happened to me after eating dinner this evening.

My granddaughter spit up and then was hit with a body-wracking case of hiccups that went on and on and on. Just when she was relieved of them through falling asleep, I got the hiccups—the kind that make you feel ill to your stomach. And just like my granddaughter, they went on and on and on for over an hour.

So, here’s my question, why are all these “contagious” when we see another with them? And hiccups…why them of all things?

No comments:

Post a Comment