Saturday, November 6, 2010

Odd things happen to me on a regular basis. I’ve come to embrace this reality as…well…just part of what makes my life…interesting. But every once in a while, I’m privy to when strange things happen to others. And those events make me smile.

Driving home from my son’s soccer game this afternoon, I had to stop at a red light. When my green arrow indicated I could go, I didn’t for there was an ambulance, lights flashing and siren blaring, approaching the intersection. I waited for it to pass and then head up the route I was to take. Once it was clear, I made my turn and began following.

About a quarter mile up, I found it odd that the ambulance was going under the speed limit despite its lights and siren still displayed.

Shouldn’t it be in a hurry?

We continued on our way, going another half mile at this reduced speed. Up ahead was the fire station. I couldn’t help but find it a tad ironic when I noticed one of the fire trucks head out of their drive, lights flashing and siren blaring, towards us…the opposite direction of the ambulance, which had just passed the last possible street to turn on before the fire station.

Huh?

As the two got closer to one another, they slowed. So I, along with other vehicles, did the same. The fire truck pulled over to its side of the road. The ambulance did the same. So we all pulled over and waited since both emergency vehicles’ lights and sirens were still doing their thing.

Strange.

Since I was right behind the ambulance, I could see, from its side-view mirror, that the driver was looking over at the fire truck’s driver and conversing with him.

Hmmm…. Please tell me the ambulance isn’t lost.

As if reading my thoughts, both drivers pulled away from their sides of the road. The fire truck continued south while the ambulance made a U-turn to follow.

You’ve got to be kidding! The ambulance was lost.

Once both vehicles passed, I continued on a half block and then turned onto my street. But something nagged at me to look back. I did, and it was then that I noticed both the fire truck and the ambulance appeared to be lost, since they had pulled to the side of the road, lights and sirens still displayed, cars unable to pass. The drivers of each looked to be rapidly talking with one another.

Don’t they have GPS? Dispatchers who tell them where to go…and how to get there? And whatever happened to the drivers being acquainted with the area they serve?

As I completed my turn and the emergency vehicles fell out of sight, I was left to wonder if they managed to ever make it to their destination…or if they’re still parked there…at the side of the road…the blind leading the blind.

No comments:

Post a Comment