Saturday, November 13, 2010

There are those who bag on living in the LA area. Me, I find myself amused on a regular basis. If you put aside the overcrowding, nasty traffic, high cost of living and lack of jobs, what you’re left with is pretty entertaining.

After an appointment yesterday, I drove through Pasadena up towards the freeway. Approaching an intersection, I looked over to my left. My eyes grew wide. I did a double take. And then I began cracking up while cursing the big bus that blocked my view so I couldn’t take a picture of the strange individuals I saw.

Ugh!

There, walking down the street and then traversing a busy intersection, was a merry band of…of…well, I’m not quite sure what the foursome was meant to be. At the rear of the line, was a grown man dressed like Pinocchio. And…if that wasn’t enough to catch one’s attention, he was carrying a large Eiffel tower made out of foam core that was as tall as he was. Walking on front of him, single-file, where two other individuals who I couldn’t begin to describe what they were dressed as or what the giant signs they were carrying were meant to be. The person leading the odd mini parade was dressed like the king from the Imperial Margarine commercials of years ago. And yes, he was proudly wearing a full-length red “king” robe, complete with a white furry collar offset with black dots. And what was he carrying? A giant Golden Gate Bridge.

Of…course…he was.

I reached over to get my phone so I could take a picture of them. But…a giant bus had other plans and pulled right alongside me, blocking my shot. As I looked around, I saw a man, coming out of a building to my right, almost fall down a staircase as he shot a cautious look at the odd foursome. Pedestrians gave the group a wide berth. And, as I pulled into the intersection to make my turn, I noticed other motorists distracted by the mini parade making its way across the street. Just as the bus passed, and I could have had a clear shot, I completed my turn and headed away from the mini parade.

Darn, another missed opportunity!

Continuing onto a meeting I had in Burbank, I drove along the 134 Freeway where I soon came upon my next odd LA sighting. Alongside the freeway was a raised pathway that ran parallel to a wash. Riding on said pathway, heading towards me, was a bronzed man wearing a snowball white pair of spandex riding shorts and top.

Okay, that part was normal, but what was on the outfit was not.

The man looked like a Valentine delivery person (in the middle of November), since his outfit was covered in pastel pink and bright red hearts, each a whopping half foot in size. I did a double take, just as we sped past one another, thinking perhaps I had mistook that the rider was male. But no, the rider, unless it was a woman, sporting a close-cropped, five o’clock shadow-like jaw framing beard, was, in fact, male.

Man, I love LA!

Feeling extra lucky that I’d been treated to not one but two peculiar sightings in less than fifteen minutes, I smiled like a happy Cheshire cat and continued onto my meeting thrilled that I live in such a diverse place that attracts such an eclectic collection of folks who are proud to display their uniqueness.

No comments:

Post a Comment