Monday, November 8, 2010

While my husband, son and I were out to lunch yesterday, we talked about noodicles, the likes of which I blogged about. At the end of the conversation, our son got quiet—real quiet. Then he looked at us and said, “You know, something’s changed this weekend.”

We questioned what he meant.

He said, “Well, you two have changed. The stuff you’ve been talking about of late, it…it shows just how weird the two of you really are.”

Okay, I admit that got me to laughing on the inside. Outwardly, I maintained a poker face so as not to hurt my son’s feelings with his thinking he had a clue of just how weird his dad and I are/can be because he’d been made privy to a glimpse at a different side of us.

Kids are funny creatures. We spend their youth protecting them. And, in my opinion, a big part of that means allowing them the space needed to flex their maturing selves. And what better way than to give them little doses of treating them like adults, when appropriate and when they can handle it? My husband and I both agree with this mentality, and have incorporated it into how we’ve raised our three now grown children.

The two of us looked at one another, winked without actually winking, and then my husband explained how since our son is growing and maturing, he’s ready to get to know us on a more mature level rather than as just his parents and to forge a more mutual relationship, something we’ve adopted with each of our other children.

As our son listened, I could almost hear the wheels to his brain cranking and turning over as they tried to digest that OMG, you mean I might find out that Mom and Dad are even weirder than I thought?

My silent response was, yes, son.

No comments:

Post a Comment