Friday, January 21, 2011

There are times when one has no choice but to get giddy over something that happens. That was the case with me today.

Two years ago, I was chatting with a friend when they revealed how they were unhappy with how they’d “sort of” let themselves go during midlife, adding not only a few pounds to the scale, but inches around their waist as well. This person had always been fit growing up and their family, spouse and kids, are fit as well. So…that got my friend frustrated but unaware of just what to do to reverse the situation.

Wanting to help and being the type of person who shares what she knows, I made it a point to drop healthy living hints and exercise regimen ideas whenever we’d meet up. The seeds planted, all I could do was sit back and wait, hoping that my friend would get inspired enough to spring into action.

Earlier this week, I had the occasion to meet up with that friend after having not seen them for a bit. My friend could barely contain their enthusiasm as they told how they’d finally decided to do something about getting back in shape and had already lost ten pounds in a couple of weeks. I couldn’t have been more thrilled for my friend and could see the change in their disposition, physique and energy level.

And then, my friend surprised me by taking all the knowledge they’d gained from listening to me over the past two years and teaching me something new. Man, I love it when that happens! They shared how they used to have trouble after eating meals, tummy upset, digestive issues, etc, but since they began eating healthier and exercising, that has corrected itself.

As my friend spoke, something in me clicked. Since my surgery, I’ve had old stomach and digestive issue resurface that had long since lain dormant. Going over a mental checklist of what I’ve been eating since my surgery, everything came into clear focus, my realizing that I was the one causing my own problems, which I could easily erase by tweaking a few things with my diet.

I shared with my friend how they’d helped me, the look on their face revealing how pleased they were. Then as I drove home, I mentally began to amend what I’ll be eating and not eating, eager to see rapid results.

You gotta love it when someone you’ve been mentoring not only absorbs all you’ve shared, but then turns around and teaches you something in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment