Saturday, January 22, 2011

For those who follow along with my blog, you’re aware that I enjoy reading the little slips of paper found inside fortune cookies. Some find them to be trivial. Me? More often than not, I find them to be rather insightful.

The other evening, my husband youngest son and I found ourselves cracking open fortune cookies, following our meal. As is our tradition, each took turns reading our fortunes. My husband’s read that he was soon due for a promotion. Tossing it aside and with our son chuckling in the background, they both dismissed it, saying that was unlikely since my husband is one of the owners of his own company.

I looked at my husband and said, “What makes you think a promotion can only be in regards to work?”

Both my husband and son stopped laughing, and my husband replied, “Well, what else could it refer to?”

I smiled sweetly and explained how many things in life can be enhanced by promotions: relationships, abilities and holdings amongst them. My words sinking in, I could see both my husband and son reconsider the fortune. And I liked that, for it got them to view things another way—one they hadn’t earlier considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment