Saturday, January 29, 2011

I’m the first to admit that I’m not a morning person or one who enjoys cold. But there are occasions when both can yield wonderful delights.

I got a text from a girlfriend yesterday. She wanted to know if I’d be interested in going for a strenuous six-mile hike complete with lush greenery, waterfalls—three of them—and pools of crystal clear water, hiking the whole while alongside a wide stream, brimming with water. My fingers couldn’t type fast enough that heck, yeah, I was game.

As we’ve hiked together in the afternoon before, I was a bit surprised when she texted back that we’d meet there at 8:00 AM. And it would take half an hour to get there. Hmmm…doing the math of what time I’d have to get up and then checking the hour-by-hour weather conditions for that area, my initial enthusiasm lost some of its luster. But, I knew we’d have a good time challenging ourselves with the hike, soaking up nature and catching up with one another, so I wrote back that I was looking forward.

Arriving at the location, which was up in the hills, a formidable set of mountains created a valley through which the wind whipped down on us. People hugged their bodies tighter as they zipped up their jackets and put on mittens. The majority, being native Californians, we discussed how the already 46-degree weather was cold enough without wind chill. And that was at the bottom of the mountain. They were to drive us up to the drop-off point a couple of miles up for us to then begin our hike.

Climbing into the van an hour later after sign in and gathering everyone into the appropriate groups, my girlfriend and I were more than grateful for the car’s heater. We were dropped off and immediately set out, anxious to explore this trail, which neither of us had ever hiked before.

Within minutes, our rapid pace warmed our bodies and we were rewarded with the remnants of old cabin foundations, there for well over 100 years. Off to the side of one were three of the largest yucca plants I had ever seen. They were ten to twelve feet across! I pointed them out to my girlfriend who, like me, stood there, mouth agape, gawking at the flora that looked like it belonged on another planet.

As the trail, a narrow, often rock covered path, wound and hugged the edge of the mountain, us along with it less we lose our footing and plunge great distances, the blooms of fragrant vines and vegetation tantalized our noses. When we hit a path where the ground was littered with a blanket of crushed eucalyptus and oak leaves, the aroma caused both of us to slow our pace so we could drink in the air with great satisfaction.

We climbed steep switchbacks, one of my favorites, clamored over rocks where there was no other way to navigate and crossed wide streams, balancing and jumping from rock to rock with agility gained from a lifetime of having done such. Three miles later, we heard the unmistakable crashing of water falling from great heights. Rounding a corner, a three-tiered waterfall came into view, a luxurious lagoon at its base. There we took pictures and appreciated the view and power of the water before heading back to explore two other smaller waterfalls.

This is a location that is on private property and is only open to the public four days out of the year. So, how did I feel about having to get up early and brave the California cold? Like one of the luckiest people in the world! I got to immerse myself in nature, spend time with a wonderful friend, take in three waterfalls, didn’t plunge off the mountain, despite the dicey trail, and got to meet a lot of other cool people who, like us, were overflowing with gratitude and positive energy. As folks passed one another, pleasant and sincere greeting were offered. At one point, I looked at my girlfriend and said that was one of the best parts of hiking more challenges spots—those present always have happy, outgoing, positive attitudes. Well worth it to get up early and brave the chilly temperature to be surrounded by such.

No comments:

Post a Comment