Monday, January 10, 2011

I’m not sure about others, but when I want to treat myself, I often surround myself with nature that’s on such a gargantuan scale as to make me stand in awe. My first picks are always the ocean and mountains.

With the ocean, the moment it comes into view, I find myself hypnotized by its majesty. The way the water swirls and boils into an angry foam as the waves curl over and then explode, crashing against the shore or rocky cliffs. I could sit and watch the waves for hours, never tiring of their grace, power and the way the hues merge within each to create a once-in-a-lifetime palette never to be repeated.

There’s nothing about the ocean that doesn’t hold my attention. I love the way the color of the water changes from greens so pale as to be almost transparent to browns and blues so rich as to take your breath away.

I adore spotting sea life swimming about or jumping from the surface. And the tide pools…nature’s icing on the cake. There’s the sand—the way it’s been etched and scaled to fit perfectly with the flow of the water’s edge. And who doesn’t adore watching pelicans, skimming the water’s surface, ready to scoop up a fat fish at any moment?

When I immerse myself in the mountains, my passion is to traverse trails that take me farther from civilization than most are willing to explore. I love being challenged by steep inclines, slanted pathways and surfaces which are scattered with a collection of debris: crushed slate, fallen rocks, trees, boulders, etc. that Mother Nature herself used to decorate the area.

I can’t seem to get enough of fresh streams that parallel mountain trails or of hearing the water crash as it cascades from great heights. Navigating my way across natural streams is one of my favorite obstacle courses with me wondering if I’ll be able to cross without getting my feet wet. Other times, I grin widely as I spot a body of water and laugh as I run straight through it, delighting in the way the cold water shocks my feet.

Coming across indigenous wildlife is something I never take for granted, pausing in awe with each encounter. I’ve been privileged to spot: deer, bears, packs of coyotes, giant bullfrogs, tadpoles, regular frogs, squirrels, fox, tarantulas, hawks, turkey vultures, scorpions, a variety of snakes and the list goes on. I cherish each one, giving thanks for the opportunity to have shared in their splendor and glimpsed into their inner sanctuary.

I go to these places to be reminded of my overall place in the world. How we humans are so very insignificant. How the things Mother Nature has created are the real accomplishments. It never fails, by the time I leave these locales, I feel a sense of balance and calm that permeates my very core.

No comments:

Post a Comment