Friday, Nov. 2, 2012



As I write this, I’m having a staring contest with a Spanish Roadside Hawk who landed outside my office window.  I can’t help but smile.  Perched a mere seven feet from where I sit, we’re gazing at one another, each of us fascinated with the other. 

I’m marveling over his gorgeous markings.  The regal manner in which he carries himself.  How small his head is in relation to the rest of his body.  How the many songbirds that usually reside in my tropical backyard are worked into a frenzy, not the least bit happy with the predator who decided that the arm of my patio table is a good place to rest.

I’m not sure why this spectacular bird decided to gift me with his presence.  But I haven’t taken my eyes off of him since he landed.  Afraid that to do so would rob me of precious moments to absorb all he has to offer. 

My usual songbirds have quieted….  Suppose they’ve decided the hawk isn’t after them, just resting.  Seems odd—to hear no twittering of the songbirds as the usual melodic background music I’ve grown to love.

LOL.  Seems the hawk has fulfilled his purpose.  Having made the songbirds come to terms with the fact that he’s merely resting and not looking to eat any of them, he’s decided to take flight. 

Though he’s gone now, the lasting impression of my backyard Spanish Roadside Hawk being soooooo close for such a lengthy spell has branded a beautiful and deeply fulfilling image on my psyche.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing. So gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Eli O,

    He was breathtakingly gorgeous! Couldn't take my eyes off of him. : -)

    ReplyDelete