Thursday, Nov. 15, 2012


Today’s blog will wrap up a three-day entry on the kindness of strangers.  With my last two entries, I told how complete strangers had been generous.  Then I, preoccupied with trying to find the owner of a stray beagle, ended up leaving behind my purse that I’d slung over the back of an outdoor chair I’d sat in to dine. Didn’t realize this tidbit of bad news until half an hour later.  As soon as I did, I put in a call to the owner of the pizzeria where I’d dined, hoping upon all hope that my purse might still be there…or at least parts of its contents….

The owner of the pizzeria said he recalled me and where I’d sat and went to look for my purse while I waited, holding my breath.  An eternity transpired before he came back on the line and delivered the bad news that my purse—along with all its contents—was gone.  Somehow I managed to keep it together, my friend drove us back to the pizzeria on the off chance that the purse may have been returned by then.  Or, if it hadn’t, at least we could look in nearby dumpsters to try to reclaim any of its contents.  Much to my surprise, I remained calm during that long drive back, due in great part to my friend’s totally collected demeanor that rolled out the vibe that somehow all this would work out okay.

Arriving at the pizzeria, I spotted the owner heading to his car with an armload of items.  He motioned with his head for my friend and I to go into his restaurant.  Stepping through the door, my gaze instantly fell upon one of the several employees who were milling behind the counter, doing various jobs.  Just prior to entering the pizzeria, I felt despair seeping in.  But then, the strong urge to look at that single employee washed all my dread away.  Couldn’t tell you why.  Just did.

As my friend and I got halfway from the door to the counter, that employee reached behind the counter and withdrew my purse.  At the sight of it, my legs felt weak, me beyond grateful for his find.  My mind still reeling, the man explained how he’d seen my friend and I leave and then noticed my purse still on the back of the chair.  Knowing it wouldn’t remain, he rushed out to claim it and put it safely in the shop, hoping I’d return.  He went on to explain how the manager hadn’t asked any other employees if they’d found my purse when I’d called earlier, so, not finding it himself, the manager thought it gone for good.

Taking my purse from the man, gratitude exuding from every pore, I was rendered speechless for a moment or two.  All I could manage was an appreciative deep bow of my head and sincere look that I hoped would express all that I was feeling.  The man handed me my purse, our fingers touching for a moment.  In that second, I could tell.  He knew….  The employee was keenly aware of what it would have cost me to have lost my purse and was beyond grateful to have been there to do the right thing. 

Much to my dismay, I didn’t offer the man a reward above and beyond my thanks and a grateful smile, too intent on catching a glimpse of the clock and realizing that there still might be time for my friend to make it to their interview and earn the money they needed.  Heading out, joy, relief, gratefulness and a plethora of other emotions coursed through me, exhilarating and draining me in the process.

My friend made it to their interview and received the money they needed.  During, I stayed in the car, giving silent thanks for the kindness of strangers that I’d experienced today. 

When my friend’s interview was over, I asked if we might call to see if the pizzeria was still open.  I explained that I needed to set straight the omission of a reward. I called and was told that we’d just be able to make it back prior to the pizzeria closing.  I was also told that the employee who had found my purse had already left for the day but that the manager would be happy to take an envelope for him. 

Arriving at the quaint mom-and-pop pizzeria for the third time today, I handed the manager an envelope with the employee’s name written on it along with a brief note.  In my message, I thanked the man for reinforcing my belief that good people still walk amongst us.  Inside the envelope, I placed every bit of cash I had in my purse.  My thought was that the money no longer belonged to me and needed to go to the one who had saved me an immense amount of headaches by simply doing the right thing. 

Today has left me with an immense feeling of gratitude for having experienced so many glimpses of the kindness of strangers.      

4 comments:

  1. Whew! So glad to know you got your purse (and all the contents!) back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tracy,

    Me too!!! And...for the opportunity to be reminded that decent folks surround us. : -)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found your purse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Anonymous,

    I'm STILL reeling over how fortunate I was to get it back.... : -)

    ReplyDelete