Tuesday, Nov. 13, 2012


There are times when everything just sort of…clicks.  When the universe seems to have taken a step back in time to a gentler one.  One where folks not only cared about others but looked out for complete strangers.  Today I was blessed with experiencing one of those.

Instead of spending the day alone, I decided to tag along with a friend who had a bunch of driving in order to get some jobs accomplished.  It was such a gorgeous day for a drive.  Blue skies blinked with dotted white clouds and warm temps that kissed one’s skin with a refreshing whisper.  Couldn’t get much better….

Mid afternoon was to see us heading out together.  A bit of a delay, however, originated when my friend locked their keys in their truck while awaiting a heavy shipment to be loaded into their truck bed—one of the deliveries they had to make.  A simple call to AAA, and my friend watched the goods be loaded onto their truck while AAA came to unlock said vehicle.  We met a short time later and were off for an adventure that turned out to be anything but what we’d expected.

The delivery of goods went as planned.  No traffic along the route and a smooth unload.  Things having gone so well, my friend and I had just enough time to stop for a late lunch prior to our next destination.  Having noticed an enticing kosher deli on the way to make the delivery, that was where we opted to dine.

But, it being later afternoon by the time we arrived, my friend and I were greeted with the place going through the motions of closing down for the day.  We weren’t upset.  Just smiled at the owners and told them we hoped we had a chance to stop by another time while they were still open.  The woman owner returned our smile and asked us to wait a minute.  That if we liked, she’d load us up with all the leftover food of the day (the place is an all-you-can-eat Kosher deli).  My friend and I were surprised, even more so when the woman, still smiling, insisted that we take the two overflowing containers, containing stuffed chicken and dumplings, and pay her nothing in return. 

We graciously accepted the food, bowing our gratitude in return, and headed a couple of doors down to sit at the outside table of a mom-and-pop pizzeria where we purchased beverages to have with our meal.  The owner of that establishment was just as friendly as the other owners had been and, though we hadn’t purchased our food from him, offered to let us sit inside.  Since the day was still splendid, we said thanks but declined, opting to take advantage of the warm afternoon and dine al fresco. 

Our meal was quite the feast with enough food to satisfy my friend and I as well as provide us leftovers to take home.  Having eaten our fill, we headed back to my friend’s truck to head to the next stop—an interview that would tie up my friend for a couple of hours, me finding something to do in the meantime.  Thankfully, I enjoy reading and had brought a book, something I usually carry with me.

Along the way, we stopped at a fireplace store so I could run in and pick up a couple of items I needed for my new house.  That’s when things took an unexpected turn that had me nearly throwing up with dread.

Tune in tomorrow to see what happened….

No comments:

Post a Comment