Saturday, Nov. 3, 2012


Yesterday, I posted a picture and blogged about a bird that decided the arm of my patio chair was a good place to rest.  I listed that bird as a Spanish Roadside Hawk.  Apparently, it wasn’t.  Later that night, I showed the picture to a friend who is more familiar with hawks than I am.  I was told that the bird wasn’t a Spanish Roadside Hawk as I’d thought, but instead, it was a Peregrine Falcon. 

Okay, I must admit, I was excited enough when I thought the bird that had stopped to rest in my backyard was a Spanish roadside hawk.  After all, I’m a huge fan of hawks and enjoy their company.  I’ve had more contact with Redtail Hawks than with Spanish Roadsides but enjoy both, considering myself fortunate to be graced with either of their presences.   

But a Peregrine Falcon…wow!  They’re rare, especially where I now live.  So when my friend shared that’s what had graced my backyard with its presence…oh, yeah, I was doubly thrilled.  Not only that, but when I’d thought the bird had been a Spanish Roadside Hawk, I was a bit concerned that it would return to prey on my resident songbirds, since they’re the favored food source.  But, since the bird turned out to be a Peregrine Falcon, I needn’t be concerned, as their diet consists of fish. 

Yay, my resident songbirds are safe and now I have a really cool rare bird that has taken a liking to my backyard.  Doesn’t get much better than that.  : -)    

4 comments:

  1. A Peregrine? Oh, you ARE lucky! What a sight! Noble birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Eli O,

    Right? It was like hitting nature's jackpot and lottery all at once. LOL. : -) I hope the Peregrine Falcon decides my backyard is a good place to hang out....

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool! That's incredible. I get excited when a deer comes into the back yard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tracy,

    Oooo...I just adore deer sightings! : -)

    ReplyDelete