Saturday, September 18, 2010

I write a lot here about self-betterment. I do so because it is something I am fiercely dedicated to.

Why am I so dedicated? That’s simple in its complicated answer. The short version is that I came from a childhood that set me up for near certain failure as an adult. But early on, around age five, I realized that it was ultimately up to me to live out my life the way I saw fit.

What did that mean? That yes, as a child, I was bound to the environment of my upbringing, but that I didn’t have to adopt those principles as my own. And I didn’t. Instead, I learned to behave in a manner that ensured my ultimate survival—both mental and physical. And then I bid my time.

Counting down until I would graduate from high school, I took solace in that if I could make it that long, the sky was the limit for the rest of my existence, for then I could move out on my own, be completely independent and decide how I would live my life, treating others with the respect I had so craved as a child but seldom got.

In addition, I recognized that there would be a required debriefing of sorts when I would have to deprogram myself of most of the mentalities that had been forced upon me while growing up. Somehow, even from the youngest age, I’d recognized them as abnormal and dangerous, vowing to never adopt them as my own or perpetrate them on others.

And I haven’t. Moving out on my own and becoming 100% independent, financially and otherwise, four days after I graduated high school until the present, I have dedicated my life to helping others and improving upon myself along the way.

And so, that’s the shortened answer as to why I’m so fiercely dedicated to improving upon myself and sharing my thoughts with others, for I hope that they might in some small way benefit from my experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment