Sunday, January 29, 2012


There’s something magical about a smile.  Ever notice how when you return a smile, the bestower seems to stand a bit taller?  How your simple gesture puts a literal bounce in their step?  How when you bestow a smile upon a stranger their entire face softens?  Doesn’t matter if a moment earlier they wore a mask of stress.  Seeing a person smile at them relaxes that stressed look, allowing them a moment to forget their troubles, someone having taken the time to offer them kindness.

I adore meeting up with my friends, for each of us is deeply connected and sincere about our affections towards the other, never sparing a smile or kind word.  Last night, I met up with some friends, most of whom I hadn’t seen since my surgery at the beginning of the month, to celebrate one of those friend’s birthdays.  The moment the friend caught a glimpse of me, their entire face lit up, their features relaxed and I could see the joy and relief on their face. 


Coming to me, we embraced, and I was showered with comments from that friend and others, about how wonderful it was to see me up and about and out again.  Now it was my turn to have my face break into a broad grin, reveling in the love of my friends, the kindness they bestowed upon me and drinking up the smiles they flashed.  It was, indeed, a magical moment, one I won’t forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment