Thursday, February 5, 2012


In October of 2010, I went in for surgery.  Unfortunately, there were complications with the healing process and it became necessary for me to go in for more surgery, some of which was reconstructive.  I did that yesterday.

I’ve heard stories of folks who have been put under anesthesia and have been able to feel everything that was being done to them but were unable to communicate such to the surgeon.
How terrible!

For my surgery yesterday, I was given the option to undergo the procedure while fully conscious, having the local area numbed.  Or, I could have opted to be given something that would have made me “loopy.”  After how the anesthesia affected my creative writing ability last surgery, I chose to not be given mind-altering medications and tough out the surgery aware of all what was to be done to me.

The surgery began, me talking with the surgical team while being covered with sterile drapes held in place with alligator forceps.  With each clicking action of the clips as their teeth bit into the drapes, my anxiety level elevated and I seriously began to question my having opted to go the procedure fully aware.  But I took a few deep breaths to steady my nerves and carried on.

My surgeon began by numbing the entire area that was to be cut.  The prick of the needle as the numbing agent was injected stung, then there was pressure as it was pushed this way and that, delivering the Novocain where needed.  There was a feeling as if the area was swelling and then…nothing.  Then came the first incision.  The moment the tip of the blade dug into my flesh, I grabbed hold of fistfuls of the operating table’s sheet and cried out as I could feel the burn of the blade cutting through me.

Hold goodness!  That’s just not right!

My surgeon immediately stopped and injected tons more Novocain.  The problem, however is that sometimes numbing agents work with me…sometimes not.  The challenge is that on the surface, when tested, it seems the Novocain is working, that is…until something intense proves it’s not.

Oh, lucky me….

Again my surgeon tested the area, my heart beating so hard I thought I might choke on it.  My anxiety level lessened when it seemed that I was numb.  Nodding at the surgeon, I told him to continue.  He did, both of us relieved that I wasn’t able to feel the blade doing its work—there.  But…when he finished with that pat of the surgery and moved to another area to begin cutting with his scalpel, it was as if someone turned on and off my ability to feel.  Some spots I could feel.  Others were blessedly numb. 

Knowing that more Novocain wouldn’t help the situation, I gripped my fistfuls of surgical table sheets tighter, clenched my jaw and steadied myself for the remainder of the surgery.
Tune in tomorrow, and I’ll enlighten readers with how the remainder of my surgery went….

No comments:

Post a Comment