Saturday, February 12, 2012


Some folks have inquired what drives me to continue writing.  For some, writing might seem a chore.  Not the case with me.  When it comes to writing, not doing so is a challenge.  Guess that’s just how I’m wired—always have been. 

Thoughts parade around my head in streams of complete visions just waiting for me to write them down.  Others must stumble and bumble around, tripping all over themselves, as they attempt to “polish” the rougher edges into becoming finished products that make sense to others. 

Course, that brings me to another point.  As a writer, I usually know where my thoughts are headed...the next twist a story might take.  I say might, for there are times when even though I’m the one creating the story, its plot takes a surprise turn that catches me off guard.  Or a character appears or takes on an appearance not in keeping with how I’d envisioned things going.

I suppose this lack of knowing and waiting to be pleasantly surprise by my own writing is one of the greatest thrills of scribing my thoughts into something that translates into coherent stories others might enjoy.  Just as readers get excited about turning to the next page of a captivating book, as a writer, my “high” comes from creating those stories.  Writing them down whenever and however I can to make room for more thoughts to be stored in my head until the cycle can be repeated. 

So, though many avoid taking pen to paper, I’m determined to spill words onto paper whenever I get the chance, knowing that in doing so, I’m fulfilling an inherent need that stems from so deep within me, I doubt it could ever be quelled.

No comments:

Post a Comment