Thursday, February 16, 2012


In the past, I’ve blogged about why I write.  Today, I thought I’d blog about what inspires me to create written pieces and what I then do with whatever I’ve thought up. 

Driving along last night, the sky was a dark canvas background infused with lighter, though still dark clouds silhouetted in the foreground.  The clouds weren’t moving.  They just hung there in the sky, non-animated billowy clumps that got the creative gears in my brain to begin working overtime.

Within minutes, I began writing as I continued to gaze at the clouds, transfixed by their magnitude, beauty and ominous suggestions.  Though some would have needed paper and pen or a computer on which to scribe their thoughts, mine instead flowed into comprehensive writing that got etched into the catacombs of my brain. 

I do this form of writing on a regular basis.  I don’t jot down notes to remind me of what I’ve dreamt up.  Notes aren’t necessary.  In fact, I’ve found that as soon as I pen notes, whatever I’ve thought up vanishes into a poof of nothingness, all creative ideas forever lost as a result. 
So how do I keep a firm grip on whatever my creative brain has conjured up?  Easy, least for me.  I store my writings in the recesses of my brain, allowing them to seep into the lining of my brain cells, forever infusing themselves there until when I someday get around to writing them down.

I did this with my first book Little Girl Lost, the first fifteen pages of which I actually wrote down when I was fifteen years old.  The rest I made a rough mental outline for that stayed stored in my mind until when I had the time to begin jotting it down in my early forties. 
Let’s hear it for long-term memory…!

There are times when I feel my brain’s so overflowing with story ideas that there’s scarcely room for any new information to enter.  But that’s okay, for I wouldn’t trade my ability to mentally store my unwritten creative’s pieces for anything.  For me, those stored creative pieces help inspire me to write more, for I know that someday, I’ll find the time to jot them down for others to view.

No comments:

Post a Comment