Sunday, July 1, 2012


While down in San Diego today, I did one of my favorite things—explore and find little hole-in-the-wall places to dine.  One of the ways I locate these places it to use applications that list places I might enjoy, based on past searches.  But…that’s not always a sure thing.  So, when in doubt and walking around to find a place to eat, I opted for one of the best ways I know to be directed to great restaurants—I began people watching to seek out someone who I believed was a local, into healthy eating, as I am, and might like the same adventuresome dining experiences I crave.

Didn’t take long before just such a person appeared in my sites. Noticing him, I introduced myself, explained how I was from out of the area and looking for someplace to eat.  He inquired what kinds of foods I like.  When I told, him, I could tell from the shine in his eyes that I’d selected the right person to ask.

He told me there was an awesome Thai restaurant a couple blocks away.  Then he gave me directions and offered a menu suggestion that he just knew I’d thank him for later.  I thanked him and we bid one another farewell.

Finding the restaurant with ease from the man’s directions, I got a table and found the food entrée he’d suggested.  Had a good feeling about the dish and that I’d like it.  My meal arrived and with it I took my first bite of what might well be one of the best dishes I’ve ever had! 

An image of the kind man who had recommended the restaurant and meal came to mind.  Never before have I so desperately wished I could find a person and give thanks for their kindness, for, indeed, the man had been right.  It was an ah-mazing meal that I wanted to give him thanks for recommending.

But alas, the man was long gone.  So, I did all that I could.  I enjoyed every last bite of my meal, basking in the afterglow of the kindness of a total stranger who’d led me to my delectable dining delight.  

2 comments:

  1. Odd. I left a comment yesterday but it's not here. Maybe it was something I did...

    Anyway, I commented that you can have all the apps in the world but you can't beat a human for advice!

    ReplyDelete