Tuesday, July 17, 2012


Ahhh…the marvels of my favorite mountain trail where there’s never a dull moment.  A couple of days ago, it was a virtual nature-gone-to-the-nth-degree experience.  While trekking along the 6.33-mile course, I encountered no less than seven individual deer sightings, several of which included a mommy and her new baby. 

BTW, if you’ve never had the occasion to see a baby deer, I highly advise doing so.  Full-grown deer are beautiful, downright elegant in the regal manner in which they maneuver themselves.  But baby deer…they’re beyond cute with uber soft looking fur that’s so fluffy I have to restrain myself from running my fingers through it.

On that same nature-gone-to-the-nth-degree experience, I spotted two incredible silver foxes frolicking with one another in addition to countless sightings of irresistible squirrels.  For a change, there wasn’t a single snake sighting, which I found odd.  By the end of my hike, I had a warm and fussy all over feeling.

Then there was today’s hike that I affectionately dubbed weirdoes on the mountain.  I seriously am confused by the number of individuals I encounter on my mountain trail who haven’t a clue where they are.  Routine questions I’m asked while on the trail include, how long is this trail?  Do you know where it ends?  Have you ever made it round the whole trail?

These may seem like innocuous queries, but allow me to set the stage for you as you keep a few things in mind.  This particular trail is listed as an extreme trail.  And it’s now summer temperatures that routinely hover around 90-100 degrees.  There are no water sources along the route.  Also, spurs to the trail appear at random without clear-cut signage indicating where those trail heads lead.  And…this is a biggie…the length of the main trail loop is clearly indicated several times at the start of the hike on signs bigger than a person’s head and clearly displayed at eye level. 

Bearing all this in mind, I’m astounded by the number of folks who ask me—en route—how long the hike is. 

What?  Didn’t they read the signs provided? 

In addition, there are the folks who, obviously out of shape, blindly head up the mountain believing…believing…I don’t know what the heck they’re thinking.  Perhaps they believe the good hiking fairies will come and save them when they get in over their heads.

Yeah, right, cause that’s likely….

In addition, I constantly come across folks who are absolutely clueless as to common-sense precautions they should take when hiking a mountain for goodness sake.  These are so rudimentary as to include bringing water with them.  Wearing proper clothing.  Adequate shoes.  Don’t bring newborn babies up here.  Or tiny puppies that suffer from heat exhaustion unable to sweat to cool themselves.  Don’t, don’t, don’t, if you’re a lone female, put on your headphones and then cover your mouth with duct tape while hiking this trail.  And by all means, leave the church attire, including the high heels and roll-along luggage at home!  Yes, sadly, I’ve personally seen all this stupidness folks present.

I’ve been hiking this particular trail 5-7 days a week for fifteen years!  Until about a year and a half ago, I have never, never, never come across the sheer masses of individuals who now consider this their workout spot.  Not that I mind people taking an active role in improving upon their health.  Actually, I applaud such action.  But when they stupidly put themselves and others at risk, I have to protest.  Especially when it’s adding a huge financial burden to my particular community.  So much so, that our city will soon implement parking fees to offset the costs incurred by all those yahoos. 

Did I mention the routine weekend shuttle trucks that now drive this trail to pick up out-of-shape individuals and their pets that had no business trying to tackle a mountain trail like this in the first place?  And that cost is directly absorbed by my city.  My tax dollars offsetting the carelessness of individuals who aren’t mature enough to set their own limits.   I wonder what’s next?  When will the Disneyland shuttle tram begin traversing this particular extreme mountain trail, catering to the needs of uninformed, inexperienced, naive individuals who expect others to take responsibility for their carelessness?

It’s not often that I rant in my blogs.  In fact, I can’t ever recall I time when I have.  But…this…this utter lack of respect to those of us who do take precautions, educate ourselves and prepare before tackling a listed extreme mountain trail, this is too much.  It’s when I draw the line between being positive and turning the other cheek to standing up for my rights and the rights of my fellow responsible hikers/runners.

And so I ask.  What the heck is wrong with out-of-shape, uninformed folks that makes them dare to traverse a mountain trail that, when they stand at the base of it, forces them to crane their necks waaaaaay back in order to see the sheer elevation increase they’ll be hiking?

Seriously, is common sense becoming extinct?      

2 comments:

  1. People have no clue. Bottom line, they simply have no clue. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tracy,

    Couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete