Friday, May 7, 2010

Writing about what elements play into a good relationship made me think of what constitutes a family. It’s always baffled me when I hear folks get in an uproar about how certain types of families go against the norm.

Against the norm? Are they kidding?

Last I checked, nowhere is there written a concrete guideline for what constitutes a “proper” family. The dictionary defines family as, “All the people living in the same house,” and also as, “A social unit consisting of parents and the children they rear.” In my opinion, a family is a compilation of individuals coexisting in a mutually beneficial manner that serves, supports and nurtures each member of the family. And that right there is where I believe the confusion originates with what constitutes a family.

Again, in my opinion, it matters not if the family has two fathers, two mothers, a single mother, a single dad, grandparents raising the kids, an unwed couple or a married couple. What does matter is if there is a genuine mutual show of respect, devotion and love for one another.

Why must so much needless time and energy be spent arguing over whether or not elements A, B, C and D are in place to create a family? Instead, folks should focus on if the family members are happy, fulfilled, loved, cherished, appreciated and treated with respect. Again, it’s my opinion, but if these elements are in place then who gives a damn about if there’s one mother, father, they happen to be of the same ethnicity and there’s a marriage license?

I mean, really, to focus on irrelevant facts only serves to demonstrate how archaic some people’s thinking is. My philosophy is to live and let live. In addition, I believe that if folks take the time to sit back and observe what works for others, they might just learn a thing or two about what might be lacking in their own character.

No comments:

Post a Comment