Monday, May 10, 2010

I’ve always been a firm believer in karma. Suppose that’s why I try to be careful about how I handle myself and treat others. Of course, there are times when I fall short of my own standards. That makes me try harder the next time.

With this being the guidelines by which I function, I find myself frustrated, on a regular basis, by those who have the poorest behavior. Those who feel entitled to treat others as if they’re beneath them. Or worse, feel others should be treated like crap, just because the urge strikes them.

What’s up with that?

And as if this doesn’t get me frustrated enough, the thing that really puts me over the edge is when those same individuals are coddled, and those around them enable their bad behavior.

That really irks me!

I hold myself to a high standard of treating others with respect and handling myself with dignity and grace, fully accepting of the consequences when I fall short of my mark. I view this as accountability. And I hope that others are willing to get in my face and let me know if I’ve stepped over lines so I can make amends.

When I see those who act poorly towards others have little or no regard to how their actions are affecting others, I shake my head. Though I do get frustrated and sometimes angry at their behavior, I know it’s not in my control to do anything about it. Moreover, I realize that those people will reap what they sow. The consequences of their actions may be swift or they may take years and years to materialize.

Sooner or later, however, karma always has a way of catching up with a person. Well, that is unless others interfere. And by that, I mean those who feel the need to enable individuals with bad behavior. Far from helping the situation and person in question, enabling only serves to complicate matters and prolong the inevitable—karma exacting its will.

I firmly believe that those who behave with little or no self-control should be allowed to fall on their faces. That they should have to suffer the consequences of their actions. If that process is derailed, then the person will never have the opportunity to see the errors of their ways and learn to behave more favorably. And in the end, isn’t that best, to have people grow and learn from their actions?

No comments:

Post a Comment