Tuesday, May 11, 2010

On my run today, I thought of another bothersome trait that many have. In fact, such a large percentage possesses this nasty little trait that companies, corporations and municipalities have had to rewrite their policies as a means to shield themselves. Of what do I speak? Those who feel entitled to sue others for their own lack of paying attention or keeping themselves safe.

I thought of this as I was running along a winding sidewalk that had been turned into a veritable rollercoaster by tree roots, which had lifted the slabs to extreme levels, creating uneven sections that would be easy to trip over if a person weren’t paying attention. And that right there is the crux of my gripe. Since when did it become okay and even acceptable for people to not pay attention, get hurt and then reap financial gain as a result?

Now I’m not suggesting that roads should be allowed to turn into treacherous off-roading experiences from lack of being maintained, or that sidewalks should never be fixed or that warning labels shouldn’t be clearly visible. But a little common sense on the part of individuals is called for.

Let’s take, for example, the infamous case of the woman who spilled scalding coffee on herself from her McDonalds cup. True, it was a damn shame that she got hurt, but…what the hell was she thinking placing the cup containing scalding hot liquid between her legs as she drove? Had she never experienced a pothole? Had to suddenly brake? Her putting herself at risk is what caused her to get burned, not the fact that there wasn’t a disclaimer printed on the lid of her coffee.

And what about individuals who are so busy texting, talking on their phones or conversing with others that they don’t bother to watch where they’re walking? Is it really too much to expect a person to pay attention to where they’re placing their feet. I mean really, when I was a kid, I learned early on that if I wasn’t attentive to where I was going, I could trip. As a result, I learned to avoid getting hurt by paying attention. I didn’t rush out and sue the entity I thought could financially benefit me the most. That thought never would have occurred to me—too embarrassed by my own lack of attentiveness.

So what changed? When did being embarrassed by one’s stupidity get replaced with the sense of entitlement that others should be held accountable for one’s actions? I don’t get it.

Our country has become so obsessed with those wanting to turn a fast buck by suing that soon we’ll all be walking around in bubble wrap in order to “keep us safe.” I, for one, hope I never see the day when people aren’t held accountable for their actions. When the courts turn lack of common sense and taking care of one’s self into something that should be viewed solely as a means to profit financially. That will be the time when people stop learning. Yes, I’m one of those, the few who firmly believe that people need to learn from the consequences of their actions instead of rushing out to sue others.

No comments:

Post a Comment