Tuesday, August 30, 2011


A couple of days back, I blogged about our new dog, Sadie.  She’s half Australian Shepherd half Boarder Collie and an absolute gem.  In the  blog, I mentioned that Sadie is unlike any of our other dogs we’ve adopted since she doesn’t have any physical, emotional or behavioral problems we have to deal with.

But Sadie does have one character trait that makes her stand out from other dogs.  The breeds that she’s a mix of are both highly intelligent ones with Sadie being right at the top of that intelligence chain.  She’s very observant and doesn’t often miss things that are going on.  This brings me to her oddity.

Simply put, Sadie is camera shy.  Well, to be exact, she is shy of cameras and cell phones.  This makes getting a photo of her, one that’s not blurry from her getting up and moving away, a challenge.  She’s not paranoid of cameras.  Doesn’t freak out around them or start going crazy, barking and trying to attack.  Instead, the moment she notices a person with a cell phone or camera in their hand, aimed at her, she gets up and moves away as quick as possible.

This is truly one of the more curious character traits any dogs we’ve have had.  Sadie’s two and a half years old, and to the best of our knowledge, has never had a traumatizing encounter with cameras or cell phones.  As I mentioned, she doesn’t get aggressive when confronted with one, just gets up and moves away.  The funny thing is, due to her high intelligence, she can tell the difference of if someone is just holding their cell phone or has the camera mode turned on and is aiming it at her to snap a photo.  And this she senses even if the person is being ultra discrete with aiming it in her direction.
Not only did I think I would never get another dog after my Chow passed away, but I certainly didn’t think I’d end up adopting one that was camera shy.  I’ll have to see if I can get her over this affliction so I can get more photos of her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment