Monday, August 9, 2010

Today was one of those incredible days that even while it’s happening, you recognize how special it is. We got to bring Makaila home from the hospital! But beforehand, she was surrounded by six family members and scarcely had a moment when she wasn’t being held. It was awesome to see one of her aunts, uncles, grandparents and mom and dad all vying to get a chance to cradle her in their arms. And even at only a day old, she was already thrilled to be held and wrapping each of us around her tiny fingers—much to our delight.

Leaving the hospital, we drove in a caravan of vehicles, all having come from different directions. And me, I had the broadest grin of all, for I, too, got to relocate. I’m now staying with baby Makaila and her parents and couldn’t be more thrilled to be able to help out.

During dinner, my daughter said, “Mommy, I want you to stay until Kai’s two months old, for then she won’t be breakable.” I had to chuckle and was deeply touched that she wants me to stay so long, though we all know I can’t.

While driving home from the hospital yesterday, I told my oldest daughter that I’m jealous of her. That she gets to stay and watch every milestone of her niece while I have to eventually return home. She got a cute smile and told me she was looking forward to witnessing those moments.

I know it’ll be tough to leave when I have to, but know that I’ll be leaving my granddaughter in good hands and surrounded by loving family. So I’m not focusing on having to part with her, instead, I’m celebrating the amazing gift of having been able to come out here to help and see my granddaughter be born.

No comments:

Post a Comment