Monday, December 26, 2010

There’s something to be said about walking and exploring one’s vacation environment. Today, our oldest son, his girlfriend and I opted to window shop, poking our heads into those stores we found appealing. Amongst them, a couple of bead shops where my son and his girlfriend purchased supplies to make baby Kai her first bracelet and also necklaces for themselves. From there, we walked and roamed, finding ourselves in second-hand, vintage and consignment shops, marveling over the diversity of items contained within each.

I’m more drawn to items with history than to new ones. As a little girl, my father used to bring my sister and I to secondhand and antique stores. For my sister, it was pure torture. But for me, intrigued with unique things, it was heaven.

The shops we frequented today, here in this artsy town, were overflowing with a veritable smorgasbord of distinct items. It was fun to watch my son, who, like me, is prone to items with history, and his girlfriend oooo and ahhhh over just as many items as I ogled over.

By the end of the day, we each purchased a few treasures that I know have found great new homes.

Today was about exploring the mix mash of shops where we’re staying. Tomorrow…we’ll head to nature—the beach, tide pools and perhaps up into the surrounding hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment