Sunday, December 12, 2010

I wrote yesterday of stepping outside my comfort zone and how that allows me to grow and expand my present knowledge. But what of feeling “constricted?” Can that, too, bring about growth and greater knowledge? I think it can.

For those who regularly test ourselves in order that we might gain higher insight and thus evolve, it’s important for us to remain “constricted” by at least some elements of familiarity. I believe this helps to ground us, without which, we’d bounce all over the place with no real intent or direction.

Familiarity, that which we’ve grown exceedingly accustomed, can seem stifling. However, if we use that which we are most acquainted as our center of operations, we can then demonstrate the where for all to branch out, confident that something grounds us to ourselves—those experiences, relationships, etc. that have helped forge us into whom we are. I like to think of constraint as a snug blanket I wrap around myself, which offers an unparalleled comfort level capable of urging me on to cast off that cloak of comfort long enough to see what awaits me.

No comments:

Post a Comment