Monday, June 13, 2011


This has already been an exceptionally snake-ridden year up on the mountain I run.  I’ve been traversing this mountain trail for over twelve years now and never before have I come across this many snakes.  How many do I see?  Well, I run the mountain daily and see at least one per run.  In past years, I might have come across five total during snake season.
I’m not sure what’s drawn so many snakes to my trail.  Or if they’ve always been there and are just making their presence more known.  Whatever the reason, I’m keeping my eyes peeled.
I come across garter, ribbon and rattle snakes daily.  None of those bother me, especially the southern pacific rattlers, if I am respectful of them.  Many people believe that rattlesnakes are intent on biting people whenever they can.  That’s not usually the case.  Rattlesnakes are fairly docile unless they feel an immediate threat. 
About a week ago, I came across another snake, one I’d never encountered on my mountain trail.  It looked suspiciously like the southern pacific rattlers I’m used to encountering but had more vibrant colors, same diamond patterning along its back, and was a pissy little fella, easily agitated with a rattle that was pointy, like the tip of a tail, instead of rounded at the end.  Didn’t seem to mater that I was giving it plenty of space as I tried to go around it, no, this snake was irritated and wanting to strike.
Hmmm….
I managed to get around the snake, passing behind it, without getting struck, but made a mental note to familiarize myself with this newest species upon my return home.  About a mile further along the trail, I happened upon another of the same kind of snake, only this one and I were attempting to occupy the same spot on the ground at the exact same moment!  Thankfully, I’m agile enough to recoil when needed, and that I did, just as the snake lunged out. 
Looking over my shoulder as I kept going, I made a greater mental note to discover what kind of snake was now on my mountain.  Later that night, I had the occasion to chat with a friend.  In the course of our conversation, I mentioned the snakes I’d encountered earlier on my run.  I described how they both seemed to be of the same species and pissy disposition. 
My friend told me it sounded like I’d encountered Western Diamondback snakes.  He shared that, yes, they are more aggressive than the southern pacific rattlers. 
Oh, goody!
He also told me they’re more venomous.
Double joy!
And then he pointed out that Western Diamondbacks are responsible for more bites per year than my southern pacific species. 
That does it!  I’m keeping a super close eye out for them now!
Since my encounters, I haven’t seen any more Western Diamondbacks.  Have come across more of the others.  Surprisingly, I’m fine with those, as if I leave them alone, they keep to themselves, relaxing on the pathway as they sun themselves.  But the Diamondbacks…yeah, those I’m…not such a fan of and hope to have limited encounters with.  

No comments:

Post a Comment