Monday, May 21, 2012


Recently, I’ve begun running with not only Sadie, who is a natural runner, but also her son, Foster, who has a more lackadaisical attitude towards life.  I refer to him as my ho-di-do dog due to the way he moseys along when we three are walking. 

Being submissive, Foster prefers to remain a little behind Sadie who is up in front with me.  While walking, this isn’t a problem.  However, when running, and with one dog on either side of me, I feel like I’m being stretched in opposing directions. 

Sadie’s enthralled to run a quicker pace with me.  She’s always on my left, and so that hand is even with or a bit in front of me.  But then there’s Mr. Ho-di-do, Foster, moseying along at his slower pace, falling behind, pulling my arm back in the process.

The fact that Foster came from Sadie and is a slower runner by nature would baffle me if I weren’t familiar with how pack mentality works.  Sadie is a dominant dog.  The only one she bows down to is me.  Foster, however, is submissive through and through, so is content when he submits to me first and then to his mom, Sadie.

Both dogs are a newer hybrid called Bossies.  These are a mix of Australian Shepherds and Boarder Collie’s.  Each breed in itself has super high energy and intelligence.  My dogs are no exception.  In fact, the day I got Sadie, I found myself utterly perplexed by the extent of energy she had.  After playing with my other dog and me for three hours, I took Sadie for a 6.33-mile mountain run, thinking that would spend her energy.  It didn’t.  More Energizer Bunnyesque than I am, those activities only served to make her more energized.

Oh, my!

In the seven and a half months I’ve had Sadie, we’ve settled into a wonderful routine where she gets plenty of chances to expend her energy while I benefit from having such a high-energy dog.  When Foster became available to adopt, I was struck, when first meeting him, at how different his energy level was from that of his mom, Sadie.  It’s taken the five months I’ve had him to get Foster to keep up with Sadie and me while walking.  Nowadays, he seems thrilled to maintain our pace.  Thus I figured the transition to teaching him to run with us would go smoothly.

It is, I suppose, though Foster wants to go at a pace that’s far slower than Sadie and me—his ho-di-do-I’m-in-no-hurry pace.  One would think that a simple tug on his leash with encouraging words would get him to speed up, but it doesn’t.  Foster is so submissive by nature, that the slightest hint of pressure on his choke chain caused him to slow down, his believing he’s done something to displease me.  Thus my dilemma with trying to teach him to run at a quicker pace.  

Sometimes verbally encouraging him to hurry along, without tugging on the leash, yields positive results, but not consistently enough.  So, today, I tried something different.  I walk and run my dogs with super short leashes that consist of only the handle of the leash—no length to the leash itself.  This allows me to keep the dogs right by my side.  As such, I know that if I drop the handle of the leash, Foster won’t trip on it and believes that we’re still attached.  This served to help with his training today.

When Foster began to lag behind Sadie and me to the point he was pulling my arm back, I simply dropped the handle of the leash and continued running.  Encouraging him verbally, knowing that his greatest pleasure is to please me, I was fairly certain that Foster would endeavor to keep up with Sadie and me.  My gut instinct paid off, and when I looked back, I discovered that Foster had increased his speed all on his own to keep pace with us, remaining just behind and off to my right side. 

Yay!

Training animals has always been a joy for me.  It intrigues me how each and every animal varies so much with their personalities, resulting in my needing to incorporate a wide range of teaching techniques.  No doubt Foster will learn to run at the pace Sadie and I enjoy.  After all, he is her son and shares the genetics for being a high-energy dog.  The fact that he’s submissive with his truest joy being to please me, leads me to believe that with a little time and patience, I’ll bring him up to speed—literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment